About this Show

Your World With Neil Cavuto

News/Business. Money tips from Wall Street. New. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Michigan 9, Us 7, Gm 6, Washington 4, Paul Ryan 4, Campbell 3, Herman Cain 3, Ford 3, Cavuto 3, Neil 3, Rick Snyder 2, Patty Murray 2, Detroit 2, Husqvarna 2, D.c. 2, Geico 2, Obamacare 2, Ryan 2, Honda 1, Max 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Your World With Neil Cavuto    News/Business. Money tips  
   from Wall Street. New. (CC)  

    March 21, 2013
    1:00 - 2:00pm PDT  

1:00pm
1:01pm
>> shepard: some people welcome spring with a new wardrobe or bike ride. others pull out the frying pan and crack open a bunch of eggs. you can find those folks in a boss boss any yaon town. restaurant owners compete who can fit the most eggs into one pan. this year one team set a new record, frying 1500 eggs in one
1:02pm
huge pan. they're crazy over there. that's it for studio b. we're back tomorrow. the dow is on the skids. i don't know who to blame for this. i didn't read up on it. i don't know why it went down. i'm been very busy watching march madness and getting ready cavuto. >> happy birthday! yeah. healthcare, three years young today. remember that? remember the excitement? remember nancy pelosi walking with that giant gavel to pass this law she said we'd have to find the details once it was approved. three years later we found out. we're getting slammed. >> welcome everybody. i'm cavuto? how you neil because when nance sis i blowing out the candles
1:03pm
today -- >> below wellness, prevention, no denial for preexisting conditions no lifetime limits on care. >> neil: what will be a pretty tough law. after you blow out the candles you're the one who is going to get burned, especially when you go into the not so pretty little surprises emerging. she has had this from the very beginning. the only person in the country who has read and it understands it. >> i read so it you don't have to neil. >> actually i did read it, but you actually understood it. but here's what you were telling me then and what we were fearing there the goodies were loaded up front. coverage for preexisting conditions, getting your kids on the policy longer, free. >> noaa. >> neil: and the glad stuff -- >> after the 2012 election. now the president said if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.
1:04pm
you won't be able to find your doctor because 50% of doctors are giving up their independent practice. the laws creates creates so many disincentives so many panels from a door who want to have a private practice. premiums are going up because the law requires insurance companies to cover more, to cover people with serious preexisting illnesses. >> neil: apparently a loot more than was forecast the way this thing was built. >> oh, yes. young people who were primary supporters of president obama are going to see 100% premium increases. >> neil: what is the $63 fee about? >> that's something that is hitting employers. a lot of surprises for employers. >> neil: a identify they have not to pay. >> just rolls out in november. among the thousands of new regulation. employers are frantic because they're coming so late in the game. le. >> neil: be part of the plan or
1:05pm
not. but it's a fee -- >> for every employee -- every dependent who is covered with insurance. thirdly, patients are bracing for big change because this law is paid for more than half of it is paid for with medicare. so hospitals are already pulling back, laying off nurses, spreading the nursing care thinner so patients know they're going to wait longer for care. i'm already advising patients, if you know you're going into the hospital, try to cobble together enough money to hire a private duty nurse the first night when you need help. >> why do you say that? >> there will be fewer nurses on the floor and you're going to wait longer when you press the button for help. seniors are noticing the difference because there's a section in the law that actually awards bonus points to the hospitals that spend the least per senior. so that's a race to the bottom and hospitals don't want to provide those costly, time-consuming procedures like hip replacements or knee
1:06pm
replacements or prescribe physical therapy and other outpatient care afterwards. there are dings. >> neil: the people who came up with this admitted yesterday, we have some prizes, and some unexpected costs, but as far is a know the idea was to make sure 30 million americans who were uninsured are now insured, and now three years later they're still not insured. >> they're not insured and it appears as many as 40 million may be uninsured after the law goes into effect. >> neil: parttime workers who used to be insured, no longer insured. >> that's really key. >> neil: i want to be clear because you're the genius. the ranks of the uninsured has actually grown, not slunk. >> fewer people will get on the job coverage after this employer
1:07pm
mandate goes into effect in january. only washington could device -- >> neil: that's a temporary gap. >> it isn't a temporary gap. there are reasons. because the law requires employers with 50 or more fulltime employees provide a one size fits all package. >> neil: choked out of their insurance -- >> they're not going to be getting insurance through their employer. fast foods, hospitality, home service, prepare to get dropped from your insurance and lose your fulltime job status. i'm sorry. it's not a good birthday greeting. >> neil: but enjoy the cake, baby. man. nancy pelosi may be singing the praises of the healthcare law today but a lot of americans really aren't. there's a new poll that kind of confirms what betsy was pointing out here. 55% of voters think the impact of the new law on care costs
1:08pm
will be -- >> democrats who were embracing obamacare as a ticket to winning the house, might want to put the champagne on ice there seems to be a disczech between the poll particulars trumping this legislation turned law, and americans at the receiving end of this are saying. >> well, i think the politicians are -- the democrats are having to make the best of a bad situation here. the good things that your last guest was talking about that were suppose stowed hit the public, haven't been recognized because most people haven't had any impact -- haven't seen the changes, either no personal experience with it or they're just not even aware of the changes. so the goodies aren't registering, but the negatives are and will continue. when people see their health insure bills continue to rise when they were told they were
1:09pm
not going to rise, they're going to blame that on the bill. and anytime you can be blaming something on a particular piece of legislation that puts you in a good situation. so democrats are in a tough spot trying to explain with this and why it's not working out. >> neil: they say it is working out and that it is having the desired effect and those who didn't have insurance before have it now and that many seniors, for example, are noticing coverage, cheaper coverage, cheaper drugs, than they were getting before. who is telling the truth? >> i think the poll that just recently came out from kaiser doesn't show that. it shows that most people haven't had any experience with it. only 17% of the public says they have had any direct experience with it. some people may have but don't recognize it. >> they have heard the hoopla, but they have not seen tangible proof of that themselves. so if you're going to hear what the architects of the plan said yesterday, it's bumpy but it
1:10pm
will sort itself out. i'm just paraphrasing. is that right? >> i think that's what their argument is going to be. i think that is a more difficult political argument in 2014. republicans are already going to be angry and upset about this and this is going to give them one more piece of ammunition to use against democrats and republican voters are already motivated and will be motivated. the president's party does poorly in mid-term elections and only once in a long time they've they gamed seats. i don't think this will be the number one issue, but an issue like this will be hard for democrats to defend and it's going to be easier for republicans to go after democrats largely because of the negative things in front of people when they see their premiums being higher and having access to healthcare made more difficult. >> neil: andy, thank you very much. andy smith. did congress just push the post office closer to the brink and
1:11pm
maybe stick you with the bill? and unions unleashed. big labor in michigan, ripping governor rick snyder as the devil. think he is backing down? he is here himself to say, when hell freezes over. @e@8ñúñ÷@@ [ birds chirping ]
1:12pm
i'm your hot water heater. you hardly know i exist.
1:13pm
that's too bad. 'cuz if my pressure relief valve gets stuck... [ booooooom! ] ...we hot water heaters can transform into rocket propelled wrecking balls. and if you got the wrong home insurance coverage, it's your bank account that might explode. so get allstate. [ dennis ] good hands. good home. make sure you have the right home protection. talk to an allstate agent. the longest 4g lte battery in a razr thin profile. with 32 hours of battery life that turns an all-nighter, into a two-nighter. the droid razr maxx hd by motorola. droid-endurance. droid-powerful.
1:14pm
never mind nearly seven out of ten of us are perfectly fine with no saturday mail delivery. apparently congress is not. voting to keep what for many is really no big whoop. one more day of junk mitchell -- steve is not impressed because he doesn't like congress stamping out an easy money fix. wouldn't really shave many doors in the scheme of things but it's led us back to the beginning. what happened?
1:15pm
>> this is maybe the first time ever in washington's story -- this is a big story here. we have a government agency that actually wants to cut its budget. it wants to -- >> neil: bingo. wants to downsize. >> congress won't let them. never seen this before. congress is saying you can't touch your budget. it would be one thing if the postal service were earning profit and they had extra money but we're talking bat government agency, because of the decline in mail volume, losing in the neighborhood of 10 to $12 billion a year. this his the first baby step. >> neil: why was this rejected in part of a bigger thing. it wasn't as if they were just fighting this. do they want a more aggressive approach or were they saying, we about to start from scratch? >> first of all, that's the big problem. you have 535 bosses at the postal service trying to run this thing. and the postal -- postmaster
1:16pm
general, good caw, cost cutter, wants to make this work. everytime he has tried to cut spending at the postal service, congress has blocked him. another example. we have literally scores and scores of old post offices in towns where you don't need them anymore. congress has basically forbidden them from cutting those -- cutting and shutting down those post offices. now you have a situation -- this story doesn't have happy ending because i'm here to tell you, year from now, you'll confirm this is true, the postal service will run to congress and say, we need a bailout. >> neil: that's the only alternative. not allowing them to cut. >> that's right. >> neil: i guess in the anyonetime we'll get the saturday mail deliverying there and treating ourselves to another day of bills but nothing on the back burner, no cost-cutting moves. >> don't forget, the other big advocate of continuing full
1:17pm
service and saturday service is the postal unions, and they're very powerful on capitol hill, and so this is -- at stake ten of thousands of jobs by cutting saturday delivery, and they'll probably have to move to four or three day a week delivery, and in 15 years probably won't be a postal service. i can't remember the last time i actually used snail mail. i do all my correspond, and most viewers, with e-mail -- >> neil: au contraire. i write personal notes. >> pretty soon they're not going to be delivering those on saturday. >> neil: i'll walk them over to my guests' homes. steve, thank you very much. always a genius steve moore. best-selling author. the close are michigan's right to work law gets, the louder these guys are getting. unions. the source of their anger. the focus of their debate.
1:18pm
here. next.
1:19pm
michael, tell us why you used to book this fabulous hotel? well you can see if the hotel is pet friendly before you book it, and i got a great deal without bidding. and where's your furry friend? oh, i don't have a cat. now you can save up to 50% during priceline's spring hotel sale use promo code spring for additional savings on all express deals, including pet friendly hotels. express deals. priceline savings without the bidding. but that doesn't mean i don't want to make money.stor. i love making money. i try to be smart with my investments. i also try to keep my costs down. what's your plan? ishares. low cost and tax efficient. find out why nine out of ten large professional investors choose ishares for their etfs. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing.
1:20pm
risk includes possible loss of principal.
1:21pm
[chanting] right to work has got to go. >> protesteres are lashing out again but the governor is not backing down at all. michigan's right-to-work laws set to kick in a week from today. republican governor rick snyder is here. governor, good to see you. i was mentioning during the break whether when you see yourself portrayed as satan or the devil. >> it's great to be with you. i feel it's part of democracy. it was hired to do a job by my customers, the citizens of the state of michigan, and i'm doing the right thing. it's about workers rights and it's about bringing more jobs to
1:22pm
michigan. so i'm just going to do my job. >> neil: we were talking about the possibility of an errant judge overturns this and it's in limbo again, all these machinationses back anding for like wisconsin. >> we're going to end up winning the lawsuits, in my view. we may lose at some lower court record. our track record guess on this. i have a fill osi take car or -- tear care of problems. we're getting people focused on issues and solving them. >> neil: i guess what your critics are saying they don't doubt your resolve to fix things, but whether you trample on them as a result. this emergency manager you appointed in detroit. they don't much like the idea of that. of course, we should hasten to add here that when executives in the city are carted off to jail,
1:23pm
it kind of ties your hands what you have to do to correct that. but what do you make of that? that all of a sudden, a governor appointee, taken from the private sector, is now essentially the boss of detroit. >> if you follow through the process, detroit still has elected representation. i'm governor of michigan. it's not detroit vs. michigan. it's detroit, if -- >> these guy what do you call him -- >> emergency manager. >> neil: what kind of decisions well he make? >> the mayor has been a great partner. we have done is in in other cities where we have an active mayor and a city council giving advice and being involved in the process because they should be involved. it's great to have them involved. >> neil: why did you do this? they're like, we don't need that. >> if you step become and look at it, we did in a progress receive thoughtful action
1:24pm
following the law. first we tried to collaborate, how to be a good partner. the next step is a consent agreement went sat down with the city, they agreed to do a number of action that way weren't able to implement in a timely fashion. and then we looked to say, what the long-term path? there is a plan here that will work to turn detroit around? they worked hard on a good plan but it one enough. >> neil: the point is detroit d. >> detroit has been going downhill since then 1950s. it had a million and a half plows people at one point. now it's hundred thousand. the citizens of detroit deserve a better. a. >> neil: when they talk about this being a hostile takeover, the one thing they fear, governor -- you can educate me -- that you're setting detroit up for bankruptcy filing. >> again, that's one tool in the tool kit. >> neil: would you be open to that? >> i wouldn't take that off the
1:25pm
table. that's one hoff the tools that is available. my preference -- i know the reference of the emergency manager, kevyn orr, is to get people around the table and negotiate this out. everyone knows there needs to be vetter solutions shep solution is to grow the city and begin biz better services, short-term cash management, long-term liability repayment plan that works. and instead of people arguing about the past -- >> neil: obviously you're a very smart negotiator, you know when you're saying the bankruptcy word your signaling you have toll compromise because the next alternative, all contracts are null and void and you might be in deeper. >> i wouldn't pick the unions. everyone needs to come to the table. >> neil: how likely do now think done. >> i'm not going to put a probability on it because in good faith we're going to work hard to say that is something we're not going to end up there. it's up to all the people coming
1:26pm
to the table to say, let's solve the problem, ball in the citizens of detroit deserve better services. public safety, lying. the list goes on. this is a situation where detroit has many good things going, and that's something i just want to emphasize to you. we're talk about the city government. but occupancy is 95% in downtown, mid-town detroit. employers are bringing jobs back into detroit. there's exciting things that, if we resolve this, detroit has a bright future. >> neil: in the meantime, you have been worried about what is happening not only in detroit but the state, healthcare coming, a lot of democrats saying on this, the third anniversary of the healthcare law, that they're not running away from it. they're embracing it and, in the mid-term elections they're going to keep pushing and it go after republican governors who have been opposing and it resisting it, because this is the law, this is the way. americans like it, and you've got to get on the wagon. >> well, what i say is, i believe i need to comply with the laws as an elected official.
1:27pm
about the affordable care act was misfire in many respects. there's two other things that are more important that are not being addressed. first is health and wellness. we need more personal responsibility. to solve our healthcare crisis if we took better care and if they didn't focus on the cost structure, to get more to a primary care home model, primary carry relationship. so jumped to much -- >> neil: you chris christie and new jersey, opposed to it because they figured if they look at the dollars and cents it saves them money unless they went on their own, costs them more money. but wasn't that sort of the impact that was made on the part of the administration and democrats to push this, they knew you would have no other choice but to go along? bass it would cost you and your residents more if you didn't? >> the way i describe it, won't
1:28pm
take federal dollars just to take dollars. that's not the role of government. >> neil: they're taking dollars you're spending now from you. >> you still step back in terms of medication expansion, the way it looked at it, doing the analysis, is saves us budget dollars at the state level. but it's a question of if we can ruely say we can get people in a primary care relationship, they get a physical and immunizations, versus being unmanaged, uncontrolled, uncompensated care situation, there's a real thing, and in michigan we have managed programs well enough. states need to be involved. give me a choice between the state running a program and the federal government, i have confidence we can do it right. so, this is a case where, given that there was a circumstance that makes sense for us to move forward. in michigan we actually had an opportunity to say, we can take part of the savings and put them in what call a health savings account. just like you and me personally.
1:29pm
and we could do the 10% copay through 2044 and if they change change the law, we would have built up money for unexpected medical expenses. so, again, there are thoughtful ways to do it. every state is different, but in michigan we have plan i think is thoughtful and effective. >> neil: we'll watch closely, thank you. in the meantime, from granny off the cliff to the new pile on paul. democrats making him to be the devil again. herman cain says the joke will be on them. alright, bring the model in on the set! work the camera... work it! those hands. oooh la la! what's your secret? dawn? [ female announcer ] dawn hand renewal with olay beauty improves the look and feel of hands in 5 uses.
1:30pm
love it, or get double your money back. improves the look and feel of hands in 5 uses. at od, whatever business you're in, that's the business we're in with premium service like one of the best on-time delivery records and a low claims ratio, we do whatever it takes to make your business our business. od. helping the world keep promises.
1:31pm
but maybe the problem isn'isn't your lawn. introducing the all-wheel-drive mower from husqvarna. we engineered its unique drive system and dual transmission to handle hills& thick grass& and tough terrain& without losing traction or power the all-wheel-drive mower from husqvarna. challenge the impossible. find the all- wheel-drive mower exclusively available at lowe's and independent dealers nationwide.
1:32pm
1:33pm
>> the concurrent resolution is agreed to. >> neil: this might be as far as paul ryan gets. his budget blueprint getting the green light in the house. a plan that would balance the budget, he says in ten years. of course does not sit well with democrats. remember this? >> the so-called budget wag -- was the republican platform. >> neil: we're cutting the growth of progress. are you saying -- >> not talking about -- >> spending -- congressman, do you think cutting spending should be a goal? yes or no? >> yes, it's how you cut it, of course. >> neil: all right. the presidential candidate herman cain. what too you make of this whole
1:34pm
debate where we stand right now? >> it shows the democrats' hypocrisy. they believe in endless spending and endless taxation. they don't want to balance the budget. at least the ryan budget balances for the tenth year, and then from that point going forward. they don't want to balance the budget. and here's why -- >> neil: you know, you're a businessman. i'm sure you didn't do balanced budgets much beyond a couple of years, but ten years, i mean, really? >> i would agree with you. i think realistically, that it ought to be something closer to four or five years. if you look back at the cbo projection ten years ago as to what the national debt was going to be, they predicted $13 trillion. well? they missed it by 3 trillion because it was 16 trillion. now they're talking about in the next ten years, under the
1:35pm
current scenario we're headed on, it's going to be 26. which, according to my simple extrapolation, means it's going to be $32 trillion. the democrats do not want to balance the budget, and let me tell you one other -- >> neil: you don't buy their plan. the closest we hays patty murray's plan, which doesn't balance it in ten years but does find some potential little ground, the argument goes, between what ryan is trying to do -- because he does put caps on defense spending, she puts caps on other spending -- that maybe in a weird way, there is a way to bridge this divide. what do you think? >> i don't think they're going to bridge the divide. the fact the republicans control the house, people are happy that at least the republicans, the ryan plan, they're trying to do the right thing. it balances, even though they don't believe it ought to take
1:36pm
ten years. secondly, it defunds obamacare. you had handearlier done. >> neil: that's a nonstarter, right? you're not a fan of obamacare but to defund it, how likely is that? >> it's not likely at all. but, neil, people on main street want people to at least do the right things for the right reason and the rollout of obamacare has been such a dollars, businesses are dropping insurance. businesses are trying to get workers to work below 30 hours so they don't have to pay the fine. i get all kind of calls on my radio show where people are looking for ways to survive, like betsy mccoy talked about, and that's because obamacare is basically a big disaster. it's not doing what the president said it was going to do. it's not bringing down insurance rates. the rates are go up. it's not providing affordable healthcare. a lady called my show and said where is that affordable
1:37pm
healthcare i was supposed to get? and she indicated, she is going to have to decide to pay the fine or pay the rent on her house. that is an unintended consequence i don't think a lot of people are going to put up with. >> neil: thank you very much good. seeing you again. >> thank you, neil. >> neil: paul ryan's budget democratic counterpart. congress i know you agree with everything herman cain just said. i guess i want to see where this goes from here, because obviously the ryan plan goes nowhere in the senate. i imagine it goes nowhere with guys like you, i imagine. patty murray's plan in the senate goes nowhere in the house, i imagine. so where do you see common ground? >> well, neil, i think the balanced point is somewhere in the framework of the
1:38pm
simpson-bowles plan. the plan reduced the deficit through the balance approach that clued additional targets cuts and also revenue from closing a lot of the special interest tax breaks for very wealthy people, tax breaks which mitt romney and paul ryan talked been on the campaign trail. >> neil: they were without raising the overall rate. now we have the rates raised. so republicans talk of a need for a trigger. they might go along with this tax break stuff and all their closing the loopholes, that they did agree it's sort of wasting time and money and the tax code, but you guys have then got to, as part of the trigger, agree simultaneously to these cuts you talked about. what do you make of that? >> well, first of all, the difference is republicans have never said they're willing to close some of those tax loopholes for the purpose of reducing the deficit. which is what the bipartisan --
1:39pm
>> neil: i got a couple on you. i suspect no angel in the ranks of either party. but they did say that they would be open to closing these loopholes but without this being the only negotiating point on the part of democrats. not more taxes but this time you have to put up -- your party has to put up specific cuts, and they both go off at the same time. >> well, i couldn't -- we can certainly try to design what you describe as a trigger that would have both a mix of revenues and cuts. the main -- >> neil: i'm sorry to keep upping in. the revenues you talk about would be the kind you're talking about closing loophold. that's something you would consider simultaneously with cuts. >> that's right. if we're really talking about closing tax loopholes as part of a contribution to deficit reduction, it would be new if republicans took that position.
1:40pm
it would be welcome news, but you're right -- >> neil: what do you think the ratio should be? >> i think the ratio should be what it was like in simpson-bowles, which is when you take everybody we have done in the last couple years, you should have a ratio of what turned out to be one-to-one, two-to-one, three-to-one, depending on what baseline you use. if you look at the -- >> neil: what's three-to-one? republicans argue that there have been far more tax increases than spending cuts thus far. what do you think any. >> that's not right. if you look at the budget control act, we have cut $1.5 trillion. in january. over ten years. then in january, we had hundred billion $s in additional revenue by lifting the top rate for people over $400,000. so you can see right there, 1.5 trillion to 700 billion, we have done more in cuts out. view is that, going forward, we
1:41pm
should continue to take a mix of cuts and revenue, and the ratios are those that are outlined in the bills that i introduced as the democratic alternative in the house and you point out senator patty murray introduced in the senate. i have to say one thing, there's misinformation. the republican budget pretends to balance in ten years and claims to get rid of all of the obamacare, and as the hair take foundation pointed out the republican budget gets rid of the obama care benefits but keep in it the obamacare taxes and the obamacare medien in fact, tt does not balance in ten year unless you include those obamacare taxes and savings. so you can't have it both ways. >> neil: it's a moot point because it's going nowhere. the idea of -- i think the train left the station. >> i think that that's right but you can't claim to be in balance
1:42pm
and claim to be getting rid of obamacare at the same time. that's my point. >> neil: always a pleasure. gm is touting the new stingray after a very happy meeting with lawmakers in washington. charles paine wondering, why washington? [ male announcer ] just when you thought you had experienced performance a new ride comes along and changes everythi. the powerful gs. get great values on your favorite lexus models during the mmand performance sales event. this is the pursuit of perfection.
1:43pm
.. for over 75 years people have saved money with...ohhh... ...with geico... ohhh...sorry! director's voice: here we go. from the top. and action
1:44pm
for over 75 years people have saved money with gecko so.... director's voice: cut it! ...what...what did i say? gecko? i said gecko? aw... for over 75 year...(laughs. but still trying to keep it contained) director's voice: keep it together. i'm good. i'm good. for over 75...(uncontrollable laughter). what are you doing there? stop making me laugh. vo: geico. saving people money for over seventy-five years. gecko: don't look at me. don't look at me.
1:45pm
>> neil: want you to check this out. gm showing off the brant brand new shiny corvette stingray on capitol hill. the company's boss in found to upload some sunshine lawmakers away bus isn't this kind of like bringing your first job performance review home to your mom and dad and saying, look, mom and dad, doing okay? anyway, charles payne says if gm cars so good, debut them in detroit, the city that needs the
1:46pm
press, not d.c., where gm seems to be impressed. >> a lot of i analogies. how about the southeastern pacific island making some sort of appease them to volcano gods. >> neil: i like my analysis far better. i don't know what you're saying. >> i had you for a moment. listen -- >> neil: king kong? >> they're indebted to them. look at us, we're doing great and we'll do whatever you need us to do, be there for us, no matter what it is. its true, we keep hearing how great detroit is, detroit is back, and -- >> neil: i don't know. it's all but in receivership and now they have a governor appointee effectively running the city. >> it's nuts and halve the adults are functionally illiterate and you hear the notion detroit is back, and even the notion general motors is back. >> neil: why go to d.c.? they have a lot of great cars,
1:47pm
great cars. and i just wonder why show them off in d.c.? >> i just sort of thing in this culture we're in, everyone bows to d.c. first, sort of gets the approval from d.c. >> neil: the volt anything they were showing off? >> getting sweet government contracts but the ultimately gm would love to get out of this. love to get away from any sort of connection to the government to be able to say we don't want to use this capacity to make volts. we want to -- >> neil: they're cutting their own throats a little bit. >> a little bit. i think it's great for them to completely break away so they don't have to show the new stingray in washington, dc they can show it in detroit or new york. but you don't have to keep appease these guys and i think that would be great for their image with the american public. i know a lot of people who
1:48pm
refuse to buy gm cars. they'll buy ford, and to a certain degree that becomes unfair and i have to tell you, i'm watching the numbers closely and i'm not so sure that they don't need this sort of public relations. a real one. not appease the lawmakers or d.c. but the general public. i think there's losing market share. the way toyota and honda is coming on. so i do wish them luck, but get -- forget about the volcano gods and go back to detroit. >> neil: monology is far better. >> is that why thigh call it cavuto? >> neil: my buddy charles is brilliant, not good toen analogies. >> you just paid your tax boy. why shouldn't federal workers? [ male announcer ] how do you measure happiness?
1:49pm
by the armful? by the barrelful? e carful? how about...by the bowlful? campbell's soups give you nutrition, energy, and can help you keep a healthy weight. campbell's. it's amazing what soup can do. campbell's. all stations come over to mithis is for real this time. step seven point two one two. rify and lock. command is locked. five seconds. three, two, one. standing by for capture. the most innovative software on the planet... dragon is captured. is connecting today's leading companies to places beyond it. siemens. answers.
1:50pm
1:51pm
1:52pm
>> neil: get ready for the axe if you have not paid that tax them the house set to vote on a bill for federal workers who are are tax del length quit. is that fair? >> i just don't see the logic. if somebody owes you money it's dumb to fire. the where are they supposed to get the funds to pay you? >> neil: also would inhibit hiring. >> yes. if you want to have standards set for the qualifications -- i don't them that. >> neil: cannot be a deadbeat. >> to the person who is trying to hire you. but you can't take away their only source of income a person has, contribute to the unemployment rate, and they owe you money? how does that work. i don't get the logic. >> neil: good point. >> i just think that anyone who is running a business could not possibly be expected to employ people that owe them money. that's ridiculous. it would be irresponsible.
1:53pm
>> neil: these are people who might also just have disagreements with the irs and they're in the middle of litigation or fighting. so they might be listed as not paying their taxes but they're fighting it. >> i have to say if they're in the middle of fighting something with the irs -- >> neil: this law doesn't distinguish. >> it's possible the law needs to be narrowed to only include people who are deadbeats and owe money. >> neil: that's a cool crowd right there. >> also, federal employees should be -- they could be held to a higher standard. >> should they be? >> they could be and it would be justified. >> neil: do you think they should be -- >> depends on who the federal employee is. >> i don't think that -- people that clean up in the courthouse are federal employees as well. so there is different kinds of federal employees. i think when people hear this, they think senators and judges and feel those people should know better.
1:54pm
but federal employees, there are lots and lots of federal employees, and people are having a problem paying their -- >> neil: distinguish here between me and my technical staff and editorial staff. up in of us can do insider trading. >> exactly. >> so we're all held to that standard here. >> that's exactly what i'm saying. if you are -- don't think -- >> neil: shouldn't federal workers be held to a standard that you have to pay your taxes? >> i feel that everyone should have some debt payment help. i think these people should be happy they're not being forced to keep the job and not getting paid until the debt is worked off. that's what you have to dive you don't pay your nil a restaurant. have to wash the dishes. >> neil: what are you saying? >> should be happy with the law the wait it is. >> i think that this is a moderate way to handle it to say, you have a day, not resolved, you can't work here. >> if the logic is revenge, that i can get onboard with you.
1:55pm
didn't pay me? you're fired. that i understand. put you owe me money so i'm going cut off your only source of income. that's nutty. >> neil: this isn't going anywhere but it is interesting. ladies, thank you very much. in the meantime, do you think this guy is thin-skinned? you should look at the guys covering it. but way too many aren't. why? because selling their funds makes them more money. which makes you wonder -- isn't that a conflict? search "proprietary mutual funds." yikes! then go to e-trade. we've got over 8,000 mutual funds, and not one of them has our name on it. we're in the business of finding the right investments for you. e-trade. less for us. more for you. the fund's prospectus contains its investment objectives, risks, charges, expenses, and other important information and should be read and considered carefully before investing. for a current prospectus, visit etrade.com/mutualfunds. .
1:56pm
1:57pm
if youthen this willbrids arbe a nice surprise. meet the 5-passenger ford c-max hybrid. c-max come. c-max go. c-max give a ride to everyone it knows. c max has more passenger volume than competitor prius v and we haven't even mentioned... c-max also gets better mpg. say hi to the super fuel efficient ford c-max hybrid.
1:58pm
♪ ♪ >> neil: i knew this would happen but you just call the media a club and prepare to get clubbed. alan had t to this to say about my view -- >> neil: no, i never thought of that one. elaine via alo --
1:59pm
>> so long, elaine. enjoy cnn, baby. victor in new jersey writes -- >> neil: progress, victor, progress. i think my argument stands. i can't stand the way the media club covers the budget arguments. even if you insist the media is bias, call them on their saneness. what worries me in covering this budget fight is my fear is it's boring. the media that is here. let's face it. budget issues are not that exciting. covering nonstop the trial of a woman charged with killing her boyfriend, then slitting his throat ear that is ear that is exciting. sick but exciting. her cuts captivating. paul ryan's cuts not so captivating. but ryan's cuts matter. the fact they are not really cuts at all